4/17/2011

Balinese Preparations


We had meeting lined up for the following two days.  The first was with some Australian scientists who have been conducting studies in the same area.  We were advised on methodology, all of which sounded very familiar to my ecology lab days at Kenyon.  We also met with some locals to help organize public outreach and reef awareness.  Again getting ideas on how to approach the locals and the issues at hand.  We refueled for the 2 months in Menjangan, and caught up with some old friends who live on Bali.  The conversation I was listening to covered so many topics, from global economics, to conspiracy theories, to the amazing power of the brain.  It was an amazing discussion conducted by some very intellectual and interesting characters.  It brought me back to the glowing dolphins…same kind of mental state!  I met a guy who has been living in Bali for a few years, he sailed out from California.  Very excited to see our large steel ship!  I discovered that he lived in Colorado for two years and attended Cherry Creek for a year, AND played Kent in Lacrosse!  What a Small World.  I have finally made my plans for Bali and the end of the trip, which is getting harder and harder to say good bye to after meeting all of these phenomenal people and hearing about the projects to come.  I will stay aboard Mir until April 4, primarily helping as a boat crew for the research team; driving the zodiac to dive sites, filling dive bottles, and cooking.  Afterwards, I will spend a few days travelling through Bali, back to Denpasar and fly home to Abu Dhabi via Singapore.
Tonight a new adventure begins as my long lost friends arrive in Bali.  Mason and Stefanie are due in a few hours!!!!  Its crazy how things work out!  1 year ago I was with a group of friends in Daytona, now in BALI!!!!

I hope everyone back home is doing great, its been amazing to get email from people and hear about your lives!  Soon I will be back in touch with reality…teaching sailing in the Arabian Gulf!

No comments:

Post a Comment