2/10/2011

The Final Stretch


This week has been busy, we have been crossing many things off our list, and tasks are becoming more manageable, thanks to incoming sponsorships and all 8 members of our crew. 
I have been compiling my own list; every task requiring wood work, tools, and electrical work has been added to my list.  Monday I spent the majority of the day working with Danny, he is very experienced in the areas that I have been working and has proven to be very helpful.  Not only does he know how to operate a screw gun and a hand saw, but he has been teaching me tricks and providing me with company and a fresh eye on several of my tasks.  He has a great personality, very humorous, and tons of stories.  I have learned a great deal about his experiences and some of the adventures he has encountered in his life.  Danny is a father of 5, he has 1 grandchild, he has spent the majority of his life in Australia (and is currently a resident) working for pharmaceutical companies and airlines, his wife lives in Jakarta (she is visiting us tomorrow), and they own an island in Anambas.  That night he showed me pictures of his children, his beautiful island, and the amazing house he built with local materials aided only by local fishermen. 
Tuesday, the captain’s life was put in my hands.  We were removing the cable backstays from the front mast, and I was in charge of the old, spotty winch.  I had never been part of a rigging crew, neither had Danny, so we were carefully directed by Laser, who I hoisted 80 ft off of the ship’s deck, and Gaie, who was our eyes and ears on the deck.  It is a very physical activity to make sure that the winch is moving smoothly, to be sure that Laser is being raised and lowered at a safe speed, and to obey every command at a split second.  The rigging crew is faced with many challenges, unsafe conditions (like when the stay broke in pirate waters on their sail from Malta and they had to fix it on the open sea), and countless hazardous consequences.  Luckily our first attempt was very successful, removing 4 cables from 2 different heights, and only dropping a hat from 65 feet.  In the early evening, Orla arrived and we had a big meal with a the entire crew and a couple of friends.
On Wednesday, I decided to complete a few tasks that had been on my list for a while, along with some new, related jobs.  The big three tasks that I decided to complete, all faced me with opposition.  I installed a central light in the foxhole, only to discover that the light did not work, I broke two screws attaching the overboard system in the only place is could be attached and still function, and I numerous peg mounts split while I was trying to make a new book shelf ship-shape.  I found myself trying to get involved with ANY other project simply to escape my failing efforts.  It was my first frustrating day.  I ended the day after clean up had begun, but I was determined to finish at least one task properly; I installed the overboard system inside the life ring!
This morning I started where I had left off by installing the book shelf peg.  As soon as I got it tacked into place, the piece broke…but it still serves it purpose, so moving on finally.  The big event of the day was when 6 months of food arrived and had to be stored appropriately.  The truck arrived at 4 pm, three pallets were unloaded and delivered to the ship (a bit over 7 thousand dollars worth of food), and we formed a chain gang to quickly move the food out of the intense heat of the afternoon.  After our entire galley had been filled with boxes, we had to quickly unpack all of the meat and fresh fruits and vegetables.  I was told to get the hand saw so I could saw through some of the large tenderloins (one was 4 ft long and the other was 3 ft) and the 9 lb salamis.  All of the meat and butter was packaged and frozen, and the fresh produce was sorted and organized.  Half of the galley is still full of neatly stacked boxes full of canned vegetables, fruits, coconut milk, packages of pasta, containers of milk, sacks of rice, beans, sugar, and flower, boxes of spices, crates of sauces and ground coffee; so much food, but it will last a crew of 6 to 12 over 6 months!

No comments:

Post a Comment