1/28/2011

GRASSROOTS and Hippie Troops


It is very serene to wake up, walk outside and be at the helm of a boat, feeling the sea breeze on your face, the smell of salt in the air, and pink clouds filling in behind palm trees.  Back in the galley, the smell of coffee filled the air.  We began our Friday just like every Friday to follow by joining in a 45 minute meditation.  When I entered the galley, there were three pillows arranged around the center of the room.  I have slowly been learning the routines of the ship and decided to join this morning’s optional meditation.  It was good to get a feel for the endeavor while there were only three of us so I could be ready to find my spiritual self with the rest of the crew.  The longest I have ever sat in meditation, before today, was 30 minutes of twitching.  Wanting to make a good impression through my personal meditation skills, I practiced my scuba breathing.  After only 20 minutes my entire leg was numb and I had no control of it.  Luckily Yasmina broke first and began stretching her legs and adjusting her position.  I spent the remainder of the time thinking of anything to get my mind off the fact that I couldn’t move or make a sound.  Periodically, I would enter a lackluster gazing meditation by glazing my eyes over and watching Carol, who was in a deep spiritual place.  I am pretty sure that she neither moved a muscle nor blinked her wide open eyes the entire 45 minutes; it was amazing!
Continuing with the ships routine, Saturday morning we will partake in a yoga-esque stretching exercise on deck.  Carol describes it as something more than yoga; we will be ‘putting our bodies in positions that challenge our habitual movements’.  Mir is known as the ‘hippie boat’, partly because of her condition, but mainly because of the way she is operated and the crew she attracts.  I have heard what the typical routine involves, but we are all excited to see what happens when Sativan arrives in a week.  Sativan is a friend of Carol’s, and Yasmina’s, and is a spiritual Brazilian.  They say he is a very passionate man, he has the ability to alter your thinking simply by answering any basic question, and he is a practitioner of the Mayan calendar. It is going to be an interesting few weeks of watching these diverse personalities mesh and letting myself become a part of it.  One of the expats at the bar last night said the only thing I need to do while on Mir is ‘let it happen’.  Not entirely sure what he meant, but he nodded his head and repeated it.
One of the expats asked Carol what we did on our travels, and I learned about many of the grassroots programs Gaie and Laser establish in the islands they sail to.  Most involve educating the local communities about the coral reefs and marine life, aquacultures, waste water treatment, and trash disposal.  They have already received pledges from 5 of the 7 islands of Anambas outlawing the cultivation of sea turtle eggs!  I’m excited to finally meet Gaie and Laser next week and learn all I can about what they do and how they got involved in such an adventurous lifestyle.  Their dream is to inherit a place where they can establish a commune for everyone involved in saving the planet.
Today was full of rain again, but this time the leaks were fixed up pretty well.  I spent the entire day in the foxhole inhaling the fumes of enamel paint, getting wafts of incense each time I passed through the galley, and listening to cannon and machine gun fire from the neighboring military base.  When I came outside to enjoy the cool breeze and check my email, I actually felt the boom of one of the cannon’s firing.  It is an interesting night tonight because the sky is continually lit up by a falling flare and the air is full of the sounds of heavy weapon fire.
Hope all is well with everyone, its been nice to catch up with a few people on skype.  Now im off to finish Happy Gilmore!

No comments:

Post a Comment